Tier 1 (Investor) – likely to be increased to £2 million imminently
In February of this year the Migration Advisory Committee’s (MAC’s) report on the Tier 1 (Investor) route investment thresholds and economic benefits recommended that significant changes be made to the route.
As the end of the year is fast approaching and now that the Immigration Act 2014 is being implemented it is expected that the recommended changes will be incorporated into the Immigration Rules imminently.
To remind you the MAC’s recommendations are as follows:
Minimum investment threshold
• That the minimum £1 million threshold be increased to £2 million;
• That the current restrictions on permissible investment instruments be relaxed so as to permit wider investment activity; and
• That the provision that allows investment funds to be sourced by a way of a loan be removed.
The premium route – where higher investment funds lead to an accelerated route for settlement
• That the government relaxes residence requirements for those who make use of the premium route (so would only need to be resident in the UK for 90 days per annum);
• That there only be a limited number of premium route visas issued each year, of 100, with interested applicants invited to submit a single, sealed bid; and
• That the reserve price for the bid be set at £2.5 million, whereby £2 million will be invested into the UK, and a gift of £500,000 donated to the UK Government (to put the money into a specific good causes fund).
At present the Tier 1 (Investor) route still requires an investment of £1 million, however it is highly likely that the there will be a Statement of Changes to the Immigration Rules and that the Tier 1 (Investor) route will be changed, and that the current requirement of £1 million be doubled to £2 million.
Therefore, if you are thinking of entering the UK under the Tier 1 (Investor) route it would be advisable to do it now under the current rules as presently you only need to invest £1 million in the UK for the five year period.
Posted in English on Oct 14, 2014.