Migration Statistics Quarterly Report, August 2014
The Office for National Statistics has today published its Migration Statistics Quarterly Report, August 2014. The report highlights a number of key figures including the following:
- Work visas granted have risen by 10% in the year ending June 2014, compared to the previous year. ‘The increase in work visas was largely accounted for by skilled work (+11,744).’
- Student visas granted have risen by 7% in the year ending June 2014, compared to the previous year. ‘Reflecting higher levels of university-sponsored applications.’
- 560,000 people immigrated to the UK in the year ending March 2014, two-thirds of the increase is accounted by immigration of EU citizens (up 44,000 to 214,000).
- It is estimated that net long-term migration to the UK was 243,000 in the year ending March 2014.
- It is estimated that 316,000 people emigrated from the UK in the year ending March 2014.
The UK government have yet to announce their response to this report, however we will continue to keep you updated.
Posted in English on Aug 27, 2014.