The Graduate Route is available to international students who have successfully completed a degree at undergraduate level or above at a Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance.
A. Eligibility rules
- You must have a valid Student or Tier 4 visa at the time of application.
- The university will need to report the successful completion of your programme* to the UKVI before you can apply under this route.
- If, in the last 12 months before the date of your application, you have been awarded a scholarship or sponsorship by a Government or international scholarship agency covering both fees and living costs for study in the UK, you must provide written consent to the application from that Government or agency.
- You can only apply from inside the UK.
*This is a sponsorship requirement and the completion data for all Tier 4/Student visa holders will be reported to the UKVI.
B. The application procedure
- You must submit your application:
- after you have successfully completed your programme; and
- after you have received notification that the University has informed the UKVI; and
- before your current Tier 4/Student visa expires.
- Applicants will be subject to identity, criminality and security checks.
To discuss your visa application
Please contact with one of our immigration lawyers by phone +44 (0) 207 907 1460 (London), +7 495 933 7299 (Moscow), +971 509 265 140 (Dubai) or complete our enquiryContact us
C. Length of permission and conditions
- If your Graduate route application is successful, you will be able to stay in the UK for two years (extended to three years for PhD or doctorate level graduates). This route will replace the Doctorate Extension Scheme.
- You will be able to work, or look for work, in any sector and at any level. The visa also allows self-employment.
- Study will be permitted, but ONLY if it does not meet the requirements for study under the Student route.
- The visa is cannot be extended and does not lead to settlement, but Graduate visa holders will be able to switch into the Skilled Worker route once they have found a suitable job.
- Applicants will only be able to hold the Graduate visa once.
D. Dependent family members
- Individuals who are already in the UK as a dependant of a Student who is applying on this route can also apply to extend their permission as a dependant. However, new dependants are not permitted on this route.
- Children born in the UK during the last grant of Student/ Tier 4 permission of a Student will also be eligible.
E. What is allowed and what prohibited under the Graduate Visa
With a Graduate visa you are allowed to:
- work in most jobs
- look for work
- be self-employed
- continue living in the UK with your partner and children, if they’re eligible
- do voluntary work
- travel abroad and return to the UK
With this visa you are not allowed to:
- apply for most benefits (public funds), or the State Pension
- work as a professional sportsperson
F. Administrative Review (In-country applications only)
If the leave to remain application is refused by the Home Office, the applicant will be given a right to make a request for a review of the decision that must be exercised within 14 days of the date of service of the decision. The applicant will only be able to rely on the information/documents already submitted with the application and will not be allowed to provide or submit any fresh evidence with the review request.
An application for Administrative Review can be submitted only once. If for any reason a decision cannot be made within 14 days, the applicant will receive an official notification from the Home Office of the expected date of the decision within this period.
It is therefore strongly advised to take professional help while making grounds for making review request.
What services we can offer?
- We can advise on the procedure, requirements and merits of making an application for leave to enter or remain in a Graduate visa category
- We can advise and represent our clients in making representations in support of their immigration matters
- We can advise and represent our clients’ dependants to seek dependant visas in line with the visa of the main applicant
- We can make a request for an administrative review if the applicant`s leave to remain is refused.
Whatever the case, we are here to help, assist, advise and represent our clients in relation to any aspect of the immigration matters of our clients.