Uncompromising message from Theresa May
Theresa May would put forward an "uncompromising" message on immigration, saying high levels can harm community cohesion, and would re-commit to bringing net migration down to the tens of thousands.
Also expected on immigration:
- Commitment to "bear down on immigration from outside the EU" across all visa routes
- Reduce and control immigration from Europe after Brexit
- Sources say this means "the end of freedom of movement"
- Doubling of the "Skills Charge" from £1,000 to £2,000 per employee per year for employers who hire non-EU immigrants in skilled jobs
- The revenue will go into skills training for UK workers
- Non-EU migrants to pay more to use the NHS
- Rule out removing students from the immigration statistics
Posted on May 17, 2017.