New settlement scheme for obtaining permanent resident status for EU citizens after Brexit: proof of residence in the UK

On 22 October 2018, the Home Office on its official website published additional information about supporting documents required to obtain permanent resident status and confirming that an EU citizen has lived in the UK for consecutive five years.

In the new online platform applicant should enter his/her National Insurance Number (NINo), and the system will automatically check for how long the applicant has paid taxes in the UK or if he/she received any benefits. In order to obtain permanent resident status, the applicant should live in the UK for at least 6 months in a year for five consecutive years and be able to prove it.

In some cases, this check does not reflect all the necessary data. For example, in situations where the applicant did not work in the UK at all or was employed only for certain periods. In such cases, the applicant may provide additional evidence of his/her residence in the country. The system will automatically generate a report, showing, which periods are not covered, so there is no need to show proof of residence for all five years. The applicant will be able to upload scans or photographs of the supporting documents to the system. Each document has to be dated and addressed to the name of the applicant. It is sufficient to provide only one document to cover a certain period of time, for example, bank statements cover a period of minimum one month, and P60 - up to a year. If the document contain only issue date, for example, a utility bill, then it covers one month.

Documents confirming residence in the UK for an extended period are as follows:

  • P60;
  • P45;
  • monthly, quarterly, annual bank account statements. They must show transactions made in the UK;
  • council tax bills;
  • letters or certificates from school, college, university or other accredited educational organisation, showing enrolment date, period of study and completion date;
  • invoices for fees from schools, colleges, universities or other accredited educational organisations;
  • documents from a student finance body in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland or from the Student Loans Company showing a UK address;
  • residential mortgage statements or rental agreements with proof of payment;
  • letters from a registered care home confirming applicant’s residence;
  • employer pension contributions;
  • annual business accounts;
  • work contracts or letters confirming employment, and evidence that the employer is genuine (for example, Companies House registration number).

Documents confirming residence in the UK for a short period are as follows:

  • any utility bills including gas, water, phone, TV licence, broadband etc, showing a UK address;
  • domestic bills including proof of payment, for example, home repairs, vet services or insurance;
  • letters from GP or other healthcare professionals confirming upcoming or attended appointments;
  • letters from government departments, public services or charities, showing the applicant dealt with them on a particular date (for example Job Centre Plus or Citizens Advice);
  • passport stamps confirming entry at the UK border;
  • travel tickets confirming entry to the UK from another country;
  • invoices for work, which applicant has done.

Documents that can not be used as proof of residence in the UK are as follows:

  • photos and videos;
  • letters or references from family and friends;
  • greeting cards, for example birthday cards;
  • received or sent postcards;
  • personal records.

Posted on Oct 21, 2018.

Получить консультацию специалиста

Пожалуйста, свяжитесь по телефону с одним из наших юристов +44 (0) 207 907 1460 (Лондон), +971 509 265 140 (Дубай) или заполните нашу форму запроса

Свяжитесь с нами