Boost for UK science with unlimited visa offer to world's brightest and best
A new, fast-track visa scheme to attract the world’s top scientists, researchers and mathematicians will open on 20 February 2020.
This follows a commitment by the Prime Minister last summer to put science, research and innovation on the top of the Government’s agenda.
The bespoke Global Talent route will have no cap on the number of people able to come to the UK, demonstrating the Government’s commitment to supporting top talent.
The Global Talent route replaces the Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) route and for the first time UK Research and Innovation will endorse applicants from the scientific and research community. The route will:
- Provide for a brand new fast-track scheme, managed by UKRI which will enable UK-based research projects that have received recognized prestigious grants and awards, including from the European Space Agency and the Japan Science and Technology Agency, to recruit top global talent, benefitting higher education institutions, research institutes and eligible public sector research establishments. This will enable an individual to be fast-tracked to the visa application stage.
- Double the number of eligible fellowships, such as Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions, the European Research Council and Human Frontier Science, which also enable individuals to be fast tracked.
- Continue to ensure dependents have full access to the labour market.
- Preserve the route’s flexibility by not requiring an individual to hold an offer of employment before arriving or tying them to one specific job.
- Provide an accelerated path to settlement for all scientists and researchers who are endorsed on the route.
- Provide for an exemption from our absences rules for researchers, and their dependants, where they are required overseas for work-related purposes, ensuring they are not penalized when they apply for settlement.
The changes are part of the initial phase of wider reforms to enable those with world-class skills in science and research to come to the UK as soon as possible.
The Government continues to work closely with the scientific community in developing its proposals and to ensure the UK immigration system attracts the sharpest minds and scientific talent.
The Immigration Rules to bring the visa changes into effect will be made on the 30 January 2020 and come into effect on the 20 February.
Posted on Jan 27, 2020.
Получить консультацию специалиста
Пожалуйста, свяжитесь по телефону с одним из наших юристов +44 (0) 207 907 1460 (Лондон), +7 495 933 7299 (Россия), +971 509 265 140 (Дубай) или заполните нашу форму запросаСвяжитесь с нами